"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Joyeux Kitchen: Great-Grandma Nell's Raspberry Swirl


(Doug's favorite dessert)

*This recipe includes raw eggs.  It's an old-school creamy dessert, and back in the day no one thought twice about using raw eggs to achieve super creamy texture.  I like livin' on the edge, but it seemed like an appropriate disclaimer if you're concerned about the possibility of food borne illness.  I list suggestions at the bottom for making it without the eggs but I can't guarantee the same creamy texture.

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (this time I was out of grahams so I used finely crushed animal crackers...Nilla Wafers would work too)
3 tbsp. melted butter
2 tbsp. sugar

Combine and press in the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 8 by 8 (for a thicker slice) or 9 by 13 pan.  Bake @ 375 for 8 minutes and cool completely.  Don't let it get too dark in the oven!  I left it in for 12 minutes by accident one time and it tastes terrible.

3 eggs, separated
1 8-ounce cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup whipped cream (homemade or Cool Whip)
1 bag frozen, sweetened raspberries, thawed


Beat egg yolks until thick.  Add cream cheese, sugar and salt and beat until light and smooth.  Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.  Gently fold whites and whipped cream into cheese mixture.  Puree raspberries; gently swirl 1/2 through cheese filling.  Spread onto crust.  Stream remaining berries onto top in long strings and swirl with a knife (for Father's Day I put it in my piping bag to be fancy :).  Freeze for at least four hours, or preferably overnight.

Let thaw for a few minutes on the counter before serving or it will be impossibly hard to get out.  It will also be really hard to get out if you forgot to grease the baking pan before you put the crust in it.  But it'll still taste great.  C'est la vie!


Websites with ideas for raw egg replacement:

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--2825/banana-split-dessert.asp

http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/eggs-and-salmonella.html

Popular ideas seem to be pasteurized whole eggs, liquid refrigerated eggs or egg whites, or egg substitutes.  Haven't experimented yet but I'll let you know when I do!  I'll be much more comfortable serving this at parties and not having to hold my breath for a couple days wondering if I gave anyone food poisoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment