"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Joyeux Kitchen: Meatless Monday - Pesto

Would you say my pesto is the best-o?

Parsley and Basil Pecan Pesto
adapted from "Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes"





This pesto is to-die-for.  The kids are gobbling it up as we speak; Hannah is on her second plate.  (That's right--Hannah.  The child who will only willingly eat strawberries or cold cheese sandwiches.) 

I've yet to fully embrace vegan as an option for our household so I modified this recipe to vegetarian.  I love cream.  I love cheese.  Although I haven't tried it, I have a hard time believing 'vegan cheese product' compares to the creamy mozzarella I used in the kitchen today.  But if anyone can make a believer out of me, it's Miriam at Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes.  Let's show 'em how it's done Miriam!

You'll need:
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • ½ cup pecans
  • 3-4 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 4-6 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • ¼ cup mozzarella (or vegan cheese of your choice)
  • sea salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp water
  • ½ cup heavy cream or half 'n half (or vegan cream of your choice--Miriam uses Provamel)
And for the garnish:
  • ¼ fresh red pepper, cut into small squares
  • a little sprinkle of sweet paprika
  • Parmesan (or vegan-parm) cheese (optional)
  • freshly chopped parsley
Process the garlic and pecans in a food processor until finely chopped. (See the picture of my teeny tiny food processor?  I've never had a full-sized model.)  Then add the parsley and basil – process also until finely chopped, then begin to add the oil, a little at a time. Next add in the rest of the ingredients, except for the water – add this in at the end, if you want to make it smoother.

After you have boiled and drained the pasta of your choice (I used Wacky Mac), set aside. Meanwhile pour a little olive oil into a casserole, heat, and add all the pesto. Allow to cook for a minute, then add the pasta. Continue to mix, and finally pour in the cream. Heat for a minute, then turn over into a serving bowl, and add the garnish.  I used LOTS of Parmesan.

Happy Meatless Monday!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment