"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How YOU doin'???

"It's about sex, love, relationships, careers, a time in your life when everything's possible. And it's about friendship because when you're single and in the city, your friends are your family."

-Crane, Kauffman, and Bright pitching the series to NBC.

"There's nothing to tell. He's just some guy I work with."

That was the first line of the series. What is it about Friends? Does every generation have a show like this? The characters were real, quirky, relate-able. You could imagine walking in to Central Perk and striking up a conversation with them (at least we could...) You could see yourself in them.

[Lindsay] I know I'm a little bit Monica...okay, A LOT Monica! Friends started when I was in high school and took me into my twenties. I never missed Thursday night TV. Monica and I were planning our weddings at the same time...uber-organized binders and all.

The show (either re-runs, DVR, or DVD) invades our houses on a daily basis. No one is safe (and we're pretty sure our husbands secretly enjoy it). Dan and Doug have both impressed us with a random Friends quote on occasion...and it's probably a weekly occurrence that Sarah and I fit one into conversation or have something that relates to a plot line that sends us into snorts & giggles.


[Sarah] I feel like it's a part of me, as if I might be an entirely different person had it never existed. Friends was on from 1994-2004: formative years in my life...teenage years, hormonal years, deeply emotional years. I connect huge moments in my life with what was happening on Friends at the same time. I remember crying through the episode that aired right after 9/11 (Chandler and Monica's wedding), when no one was sure if it was okay to laugh again. Friends is still my go-to programming when I can't sleep or need a laugh after a stressful day--a constant and dependable source of humor and comfort with a click of the remote.

This "Which Friend are you?" question is an interesting one. Lindsay and I, together, make one whole Monica! She's the organized, where-will-all-the-ribbons-go Monica, and I'm the uncooked-batter-eater, chef Monica.

Lindsay's collection of books and magazines re: Friends
We wanted to include a sappy Friends montage, best moments and such, but embedding from YouTube was 'disabled by request'. Click this link to watch some of the best scenes from 10 years of Friends.

Here's the original Friends fan site
Friends Cafe, another great resource for all things Friends-related

Favorite quotes:
"See...he's her lobster!"
"Where will all the ribbons go?"
"Look at me, I'm Chandler. Could I BE wearing any more clothes?"
"Your money's mine, Green." "Your fly is open, Gellar"
"Joey, stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!"
"It is unreasonable to expect a child to wait for a light bulb to cook brownies"
"Phoebe, stop cleansing my aura"
"First name Crap. Last name Bag"
"So how many cameras are actually on you?"
"Hello, Vegas? We would like more alcohol. And you know what else? We would like some more beers"
"Hello Mrs. Ross! Well hello Mr. Rachel!"
"When there is a 'D' on the end of fine...your not fine"
"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"
"You were my midnight mystery kisser?"
"WE WERE ON A BREAK"
"I came with Monica and I'm leaving with Weird Al"
"pivot, pivot, PIVOT"
"Gum would be perfection."
"Paper. Snow. A ghost!"
"It's my nubbin..."
"This is Chandler Bing." ... "Whoa.  Short message."
"They're my new, I don't need a job, I don't need my parents, I've got great boots boots."
"Joey ate my last stick of gum, so I killed him."
"What a weird way to kick me when I'm down"
"Tartlets? Tartlets? Tartlets? The word has lost all meaning."
"One side of my butt is totally asleep, and the other side has no idea."
"What? You're, uh, you're... you're over me? When... when were you... under me?"
"Don't you have to be Claymation to say stuff like that?"
"How do you expect me to grow if you won't let me blow?"
"Hey!  It's not that common, it doesn't happen to every guy, and it IS a big deal!!"
Lindsay's cat watching Friends...
Phoebe songs:
Oh, the cow in the meadow goes moo,
Oh, the cow in the meadow goes moo.
Then the farmer hits him on the head and grinds him up,
And that's how we get hamburgers.
Now, chickens!

New York City has no power
And the milk is getting sour
But to me that is not scary
Cause I stay away from dairy
La-la-la-la-la-la...

Smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you?
Smelly cat, smelly cat, it's not your fault.
They won't take you to the vet.
You're obviously not their favorite pet.
It may not be a bed of roses.
And you're no friend to those with noses.

Now grandma's a person who everyone likes
She brought you a train and a bright shiny bike
But lately she hasn't been coming to dinner
And last time you saw her she looked so much thinner.
Now your mom and your dad said she moved to Peru,
But the truth is she died and someday you will too
La-la-la-la-la...

I found you in my bed...
How'd you wind up there?
You are a mystery
Little black curly hair
Little black curly hair
Little black, little black,
Little black, little black,
Little black curly hair

Are you in there little fetus?
In nine months will you come greet us?

Whenever I get married
Guess who I won't ask to sing!
Somebody named Geller! And somebody else named Bing!


Lindsay's dog named Phoebe

Rachel: Do you guys have to go to the new house right away, or do you have some time?
Monica: We've got some time.
Rachel: Okay, should we get some coffee?
Chandler: Sure. Where?


No comments:

Post a Comment