"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Joyeux Kitchen: Cookie Dough Cupcakes



Amanda-from-kevinandamanda.com's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

Lindsay requested these for her birthday.  They looked like a bit of a project and October was a wild month around here, so they got shelved for another date (don't worry, she got somethin' REAL nice--Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bites).  Super Bowl Sunday seemed like the perfect excuse to dust off the recipe!

I've been called a lot of things in my day...patient is not one of them.  I like my food and I like it NOW.  For instance, I've never pickled anything because you have to wait sooooo looooong to enjoy the fruits of your labor, and I'm just not built like that.  So when I saw that this recipe really takes two days to finish up and eat, I immediately disregarded the overnight step with a casual "Pssssh, I don't need to freeze that dough, it'll be fine, and this way I can eat it TONIGHT!"  This instant gratification is very American of me, I understand that.  Fortunately this time my impatience was in tune with my baker's instincts--no need to freeze the balls, although I might try it that way someday when I have more time on my hands.

The only other alteration I made to the recipe was probably unnecessary and definitely excessive: I subbed heavy cream for the milk in the frosting.  It was good.  SO good.  In fact, the girls are eating bowls of it right now (because it irks me when I make gourmet cupcakes and they lick the frosting off and throw the rest away, darn kids, no appreciation for the finer things in life, don't they know starving kids in Africa would KILL for these cupcakes!....).  Anyway, just giving them bowls of frosting has resolved my frustration on the matter.

These are amazing--thank you Amanda!--and your Super Bowl guests will be clamoring for the recipe.

Bon appetit, friends.  xo
Side note, post-baking second batch:  This recipe says it makes 24 cupcakes, but both times, for me, it made at least 30.  Also, the second time around, I did freeze the balls.  It extends the cooking time a little bit because the middle is so cold, it keeps the dough from baking evenly.  Just watch them really close and pull them out when the tops get nice and golden.  One more thing: the cookie dough ball recipe makes enough balls for two batches of the cupcakes.  Roll up the rest of the balls and stick 'em in the freezer for next time!

1 comment:

  1. I CANNOT wait to try these! I bet they're [snick] REAL nice :) -Linz

    ReplyDelete