"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Joyeux Kitchen: Fried Green Tomatoes

"I found out what the secret to life is: friends. Best friends."--Ninny Threadgoode (Fried Green Tomatoes)



Okay, so the quote isn't relevent to this post in any way, but it's a great movie.  So you could try some of these recipes and watch the movie at the same time! 

It was a bad year for tomatoes, no doubt about it.  My plants were covered with fruit but only three of them ever ripened.  So what next?  No sense crying over green tomatoes, I had to make a plan.  I found a great website with tons of ideas and uses for them (they're super-firm, with a very mild, citrusy flavor).  Had to try them fried, of course.  I used recipe #1 with the buttermilk lime dressing--delicious, but the dredge needed more salt and they'd be better dipped in sour cream ranch.  Also tried recipe #10, the green tomato salsa--yummy, mild, very fresh tasting and would be great on nachos.  For spice-lovers, I'd add some chopped up jalapeno.




No comments:

Post a Comment