"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Joyeux Kitchen: [Meatless Monday] My Big, Fat Greek Salad


I went over to the McCabe's a month or so ago, hungry as usual, and Lindsay gave me a spoonful of something that closely resembled this recipe.  It was delicious.  Feta, cucumbers, a savory dressing, it was all very, very good.  It's not Doug-Food, which is what I usually make--he doesn't like feta, or olives, or vegetables in mass quantity like this--but that's okay because I'm happy eating the whole thing myself.  You could serve it as a side dish (on the side of a yummy, light fish entree maybe?) but I like it as the main course with a glass of vino. 

You'll need:
  • 1 cucumber, unpeeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick (or I used mini-cucs from Costco)
  • 1 red bell pepper, large-diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, large-diced
  • 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 pound feta cheese, 1/2 inch diced (I used crumbled and it turned out great)
  • 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted
 For the vinaigrette:
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup good red wine vinegar (I used what it probably considered 'average' red wine vinegar and it was totally fine)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup good EVOO
The preparation is pretty straight forward.  Put all the chopped veggies in a bowl.  **The original recipe called for 1/2 red onion sliced into rounds also, but I don't like 'em so I left them out.  Combine the ingredients for the vinaigrette and shake it up (well, I shake it up--you could whisk it together too).  Pour the dressing over the veggies, add the cheese and olives and toss lightly.  Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend and serve at room temperature.  Enjoy!  I think it's even better the second day.

Ina Garten's original Greek salad recipe here.  Love that Barefoot Contessa.



No comments:

Post a Comment