"Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one'."

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Joy of Turning 27

I turned 27 last week.  The big 2 - 7.  Three more years until 30.  Before the big day, I posted on Facebook something like "...is underwhelmed at the idea of turning 27 next week. "Eh." ".  (The Eh was supposed to be interpreted as a shoulder shrug.)  People took this post entirely the wrong way, like I was feeling anxious about the reality of my descent to the grave, suddenly confronted with my own mortality, OH THE AGONY of the idea of turning 27.  Nope.  Nuance and tone are impossible to decode via social networking site.  I was trying to convey that I had no real feelings at all about this particular birthday, not exciting like 16 or 18 or 21, and as a stay at home mom, I knew the day would unfold much like all our other days: breakfast, bath, gym, errands.  So "Eh."  *shoulder shrug*

But it was a great day.  The girls behaved.  I got 70-ish Facebook Happy Birthdays which blew me away.  And I took pictures of almost everything that gave me joy that Friday.  Little feet in the tub, Ashton hosted Regis and Kelly, Dad brought Starbucks!, Linz got me a Happy Book to journal in, the fam took me out to Red Robin and I got my standard (and delicious) Crispy Chicken Salad, Holly slurped noodles, Doug and my parents got me a NatureBright light therapy system for my self-diagnosed Seasonal Affective Disorder, and Doug took me out to a movie of my choosing (No Strings Attached...Ashton, naturally).  Joy in the little things was the theme for the day. 











27 isn't a big deal.  It's not the year I learned to drive, the year I could buy lottery tickets or win a sweepstakes, the year I could finally have a glass of wine ;), or even the year I could rent a car in most states without putting six million dollars down for a deposit.  But great things are happening this year that I will remember for the rest of my life.  I'm running my first marathon.  Doug and I are celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary.  Our oldest munchkin is going to start kindergarten.  27 isn't a big deal for Hallmark, but it is going to be a spectacular year around here--nothing "Eh." about it.   

2 comments:

  1. I love this Sarah. Love your honesty and thoughts and pictures of your special day. You seem to be really embacing JOY!

    ReplyDelete